Monday, November 22, 2010

Sunday Secrets

Sunday morning. 10 am and it's silent outside. In my part of Amsterdam it feels like a sleepy little village. Hardly any sounds in my street with exception to the occasional passing tram (if I strain my ears). A five minute bike ride would take you to the city's bustle but right now, I am completely satisfied being away from the trainloads of eager Sunday Shoppers.

It is, only on Sunday mornings that I do take the time to make a proper breakfast brunch - there's enough time to work that kitchen magic sans any morning stress and a timely brunch probably means that I won't have to bother to make anything till dinnertime. 20 mins of
fussing about the kitchen gives me the ultimate Sunday indulgence: Eggs Benedict.


Only since the recent glitzing of the city that one can actually order Eggs Benedict at a restaurant; Cafe George does a semi-decent version,(no real english muffin) and I'm aware that Lovefood does them too rather well too. Good English muffins and freshly homemade hollandaise are essential to making Eggs Benedict but I think it is the perfectly poached egg that a great Eggs Benedict doth make.

Here's my secret to making perfectly poached eggs and trust me, they turn out just right every single time when I do them like this:
Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and about 4-5 tablespoons of plain vinegar to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Don't bother using anything fancy, this is only to help the egg whites coagulate. Definitely do not use any coloured vinegar (e.g. red wine vinegar) as your eggs will end up looking awful.

Crack your egg into a bowl - using only the freshest eggs - and leave to rest.

Once water is boiling, turn heat to lowest setting and start vigorously stirring the water clockwise (anti-clockwise if you live in the southern hemisphere).


Timing is essential here: Imediately pour egg into the "eye of the storm" and allow the egg to cook for exactly 2 minutes (use a timer!!) Then use a large flat spoon to spoon out the egg, draining the liquid off gently. Your egg is now perfectly poached.

The last, most important step of course is: EAT. Eat, eat, eat.

0 comments:

Post a Comment