Thursday, November 11, 2010

Cocktales

In the last 2-3 years of my Amsterdam Adventure a brand new wave of (good) restaurants, specialty food shops and cool cocktail bars have opened up in this little town. 10 years ago when I washed up on the Amstel's shores there was not a Cosmopolitan in sight. Just beer. And jenever. Oh - and on occasion a very bad pink concoction with a maraschino cherry and a stripy straw which called itself a cocktail.

As I find myself surrounded by an increasing number of ugg-wearing tweens and mai-tai sipping hipsters I feel torn between 2 worlds. I love the fact that this city is beginning to feel like a real big city but I also love the the old grimy Amsterdam where one would have to comb the city for a shop that sold oreos and bartenders called me schat as I unwillingly sipped a Breezer ananas.

Tonight I embrace Amster-glam.. I look forward to sipping my lychee martini at dinner and not having to travel half the world to get it.

Proost schat.

---------------------------------------------------------

Favourite Amsterdam Cocktail spots

1. Door 74 (Reguliersdwarsstraat 74)
Expensive drinks but worth it for the original mixology and great atmosphere which mimics old New York speakeasies. It's a "secret" spot - there's no sign on the door so you'll need to look for it. Call on the same day to make a reservation (recommended).

2. Vesper (Vinkenstraat 57)
It's number 2 for me because of the drinks - they are so good(!)- but this tiny bar in the Jordaan gets crazy crowded. Not for a quite night on the town.

3. Harry's (Spuistraat 285)
Classic cocktail bar, great place for a chat and a drink. Best PiƱa Colada in Amsterdam.

0 comments:

Post a Comment