Thursday, October 21, 2010

Pumpkin time - Call it a comeback

I've been a bad, bad, girl. 8 months (!), 26 days, 269 days, 807 meals have passed and I have not written a word about my most favourite hobby - food.

I'll surpass all talk of the lovely summer salads and skip straight to hearty autumn fare. Usually I would not call soup a proper dinner (I like my solids) but with the way of the weather in recent times I've found myself feeling very happy when I tuck myself into a homemade soup. Soup is such a lovely solace after a cold rainy day!

Pumpkins are popping up everywhere in Amsterdam at the moment and I could not resist treating myself to a sweet organic pumpkin.. which of course eventually turned into a nice little pumpkin soup. I have recently rediscovered roasted veggie soups in my quest to be a weekday vegetarian. Somehow roasting the veg before pureeing gives the whole dish such richness and a tinge of yummy smokiness from the grill.


What I put in (Enough for 4):
1 small organic pumpkin
3 potatoes (crumbly kind)
4 tablespoons olive oil for roasting
500ml veggie stock (chicken stock will do too)
1 large white onion, diced
4 cloves garlic peeled
1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon dried cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
Salt to taste
Sesame seeds (to garnish)

How to make it:

Basically I put everything besides the stock into roasting tin, baked at 200 degrees for 20 mins (or until the veg is soft) then turned on the grill at full whack for about 5 mins to give a bit of smokiness. Take out the veg from the oven and puree it in the blender until smooth. You might need to add some stock to help it blend a little easier.

Put everything into a nice big pot, add stock and let it slowly simmer for about 10-15 mins. Serve up nice and hot and garnish with the sesame seeds.

0 comments:

Post a Comment