Monday, March 26, 2012

Lemons! Lemons!

The bright and cheery spring weather in Amsterdam this week inspired this tasty treat. I love lemons. I love the way it tickles my toungue and makes my mouth water, just at the thought of it.

When I was little, I used to pluck baby lemons off my mom's backyard tree and eat them, skin and all. And when it comes to desserts, anything lemony is always welcome.

This recipe is super simple, quick to do and very rewarding.

What I put in (Enough for 2 x 250g jars):

  • 4 unwaxed organic lemons, zest and juice
  • 200g unrefined caster sugar
  • 100g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
  • 3 free-range eggs, plus 1 free-range egg yolk

How to make it:

This is a slightly alternative method for making the lemon curd but I guarantee that this will result in a silky smooth curd without any bits of curdled egg.

Sterilize your jam jar(s) by boiling them in hot water. You can alternatively just wash them in your dishwasher and use them while they are still hot.

Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, then the lemon juice and zest. The mixture might look a bit lumpy and weird at this point but fear not! Silky smoothness awaits!

Heat the mixture over a bain marie in a heat-proof bowl, making sure that you whisk the mixture as it heats to prevent the egg from curdling. Allow to cook for about 10-13 minutes until the lemon curd is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.

Pour the hot curd into the jars and seal whilst hot.

Enjoy this lemony-goodness for 2-3 weeks on cakes, cupcakes, pancakes and all other cakes :).

0 comments:

Post a Comment